An Act concerning the New Jersey Student Learning Standards and supplementing Title 18A of the New Jersey Statutes.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
C.18A:7F-4.4 New Jersey Student Learning Standards, information literacy; definition.
1. a. As used in this act, the term “information literacy” means a set of skills that enables an individual to recognize when information is needed and to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information. Information literacy includes, but is not limited to, digital, visual, media, textual, and technological literacy.
b. The State Board of Education shall adopt New Jersey Student Learning Standards in information literacy. The content of information literacy shall include, at a minimum:
(1) the research process and how information is created and produced;
(2) critical thinking and using information resources;
(3) research methods, including the difference between primary and secondary sources;
(4) the difference between facts, points of view, and opinions;
(5) accessing peer-reviewed print and digital library resources;
(6) the economic, legal, and social issues surrounding the use of information; and
(7) the ethical production of information.
c. Each school district shall incorporate instruction on information literacy in an appropriate place in the curriculum of students in grades kindergarten through 12 as part of the district’s implementation of the New Jersey Student Learning Standards. The school library media specialist shall be included in the development of curriculum concerning information literacy whenever possible.
C.18A:7F-4.5 Committee, established, standards, review.
2. The Department of Education shall convene a committee comprised of educators, the majority of which shall include certified school library media specialists, as well as teaching staff members across a broad spectrum of subject areas, to develop New Jersey Student Learning Standards in information literacy. The committee shall engage experts to review the standards it develops.
C.18A:7F-4.6 Public hearings, comment.
3. Prior to adopting New Jersey Student Learning Standards concerning information literacy, the State board shall conduct at least one public hearing in the northern part of the State, at least one public hearing in the central part of the State, and at least one public hearing in the southern part of the State for the purpose of permitting the public to comment on the rigor, clarity, and reasonableness of the standards developed by the committee.
C.18A:7F-4.7 Effective date; adopted standards, concurrent.
4. This act shall take effect immediately. The standards adopted by the State Board of Education pursuant to subsection b. of section 1 of P.L.2022, c.138 (C.18A:7F-4.4) shall occur concurrent with each update to the New Jersey Student Learning Standards required pursuant to section 4 of P.L.2007, c.260 (C.18A:7F-46).
Approved January 4, 2023.