An Act concerning tuition rates for certain students and supplementing chapter 62 of Title 18A of the New Jersey Statutes.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
C.18A:62-4.4 Certain students to qualify for in-State tuition at public institutions of higher education.
1. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of any law or regulation to the contrary, a student, other than a nonimmigrant alien within the meaning of section 101 (a)(15) of the "Immigration and Nationality Act" (8 U.S.C. s.1101(a)(15)), shall be exempt from paying out-of-State tuition at a public institution of higher education if the student:
(1) attended high school in this State for three or more years;
(2) graduated from a high school in this State or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in this State;
(3) registers as an entering student or is currently enrolled in a public institution of higher education not earlier than the fall semester of the 2013-2014 academic year; and
(4) in the case of a person without lawful immigration status, files an affidavit with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his immigration status or will file an application as soon as he is eligible to do so.
b. Student information obtained in the implementation of this section shall be confidential.
c. The Secretary of Higher Education shall adopt rules and regulations pursuant to the "Administrative Procedure Act," P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.), necessary to effectuate the provisions of this section.
2. This act shall take effect immediately.
Approved December 20, 2013.