Senator PATRICK J. DIEGNAN, JR.
District 18 (Middlesex)
Senator VIN GOPAL
District 11 (Monmouth)
Assemblyman CLINTON CALABRESE
District 36 (Bergen and Passaic)
Assemblyman NICHOLAS CHIARAVALLOTI
District 31 (Hudson)
Assemblyman P. CHRISTOPHER TULLY
District 38 (Bergen and Passaic)
Senators Holzapfel, Singer, Assemblywomen Vainieri Huttle, Murphy, Pinkin, Assemblyman Benson, Assemblywomen Swain, Reynolds-Jackson, Jimenez, Assemblymen Conaway, Mejia, Rooney, Houghtaling and Assemblywoman Downey
Requires display of identifying information on rear of school bus so public may report bus driver misconduct.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
As reported by the Senate Transportation Committee on July 26, 2018, with amendments.
An Act concerning school buses and amending 1and supplementing1 P.L.1965, c.119.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. Section 2 of P.L.1965, c.119 (C.39:3B-2) is amended to read as follows:
1. a. There shall be displayed on every bus subject to the provisions of section 1 of [this act] P.L.1965, c.119 (C.39:3B-1) signs or legends which will, insofar as practicable, inform the driver of any vehicle concerning the duty imposed upon him by law with respect to passing [such] a bus, while it is loading or unloading. [Such] The signs or legends shall be in [such] a color, form, and design as will meet the requirements prescribed by the State Board of Education, which requirements shall not be inconsistent with the provisions of this Title or any rule or regulation made pursuant thereto.
b. An agency, board of education, nonpublic school, or school bus contractor operating a school bus subject to the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1965, c.119 (C.39:3B-1) shall display across the rear of the school bus a telephone number, website address, or other identifying information 1[that allows] which shall allow1 the public to report a bus driver’s misconduct while operating the school bus 1to the board of education or nonpublic school for which the school bus provides transportation1. The lettering shall be of a color that contrasts with the color of the school bus.
(cf: P.L.1965, c.119, s.2)
12. (New section) The Commissioner of Education, in consultation with the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission and the Superintendent of the Division of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety, shall promulgate regulations pursuant to the “Administrative Procedures Act,” P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.) to effectuate the provisions of P.L. c. (C. ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill). The regulations shall establish:
(1) the appropriate board of education or nonpublic school official or designee to address and respond to a complaint of school bus driver misconduct;
(2) the appropriate actions which a board of education or nonpublic school may take to respond to a complaint of school bus driver misconduct; and
(3) the time period during which a board of education or nonpublic school may act to respond to a complaint of school bus driver misconduct.1
1[2.] 3.1 This act shall take effect immediately and shall first be applicable to the school year beginning on July 1st next following the date of enactment.