Assemblywoman GABRIELA M. MOSQUERA
District 4 (Camden and Gloucester)
Assemblywoman ANGELA V. MCKNIGHT
District 31 (Hudson)
Assemblywoman ANGELICA M. JIMENEZ
District 32 (Bergen and Hudson)
Assemblywoman CAROL A. MURPHY
District 7 (Burlington)
Assemblywoman Lopez, Assemblyman Karabinchak, Assemblywomen Reynolds-Jackson, Jasey and Vainieri Huttle
Requires Commissioner of Corrections to appoint workforce skills training development officer to administer, enhance, and supplement inmate workforce skills training programming.
CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT
As reported by the Assembly Women and Children Committee on June 9, 2021, with amendments.
An Act concerning inmate workforce skills training and amending P.L.2009, c.330.
Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. Section 1 of P.L. 2009, c.330 (C.30:4-92.1) is amended to read as follows:
1. The Commissioner of Corrections, in consultation with the Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development, shall establish a mandatory workforce skills training program in each State correctional facility under the jurisdiction of the Department of Corrections. The program shall be administered by a workforce skills training development officer who shall be appointed by the Commissioner of Corrections to enhance and supplement the workforce skills training programming currently available to inmates in each State correctional facility. In administering the mandatory workforce training program in each State Correctional facility, the workforce skills training development officer shall:
(1) improve upon the facility's most successful workforce skills training program offerings as determined by the rate of enrollment and completion of the programs;
(2) introduce new workforce skills training program offerings to inmates of the facility; and
(3) provide workforce skills training programming, to be modified as needed, which is consistent with actual post-release employment opportunities and reflects the State's emerging industry and business workforce needs.
a. The requirement of participating in a workforce skills training program shall apply to an inmate who:
(1) is in the custody of the Department of Corrections on the effective date of P.L.2009, c.330 (C.30:4-92.1 et al.);
(2) has 18 months or more remaining to be served before a mandatory release date; and
(3) is not exempted due to a medical, developmental, or learning disability.
b. The mandatory workforce skills training program requirement may be deferred for an inmate who is serving a sentence exceeding 10 years.
c. The workforce skills training program shall contain a computer literacy component, including instruction on word processing, typing, Internet navigation, and use of e-mail.
d. An inmate who satisfactorily participates in the mandatory workforce skills training program shall be eligible for commutation time for good behavior pursuant to R.S.30:4-140 or credits for
diligent application to work and other institutional assignments pursuant to R.S.30:4-92.
e. The commissioner shall report to the State Parole Board the progress of an inmate participating in the mandatory workforce skills training program.
f. The commissioner, in consultation with the workforce skills training development officer and the Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development, shall promulgate, pursuant to the "Administrative Procedure Act," P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.) the rules and regulations that are necessary to implement the provisions of P.L.2009, c.330 (C.30:4-92.1 et al.). These rules and regulations shall include, but not be limited to, provisions to:
(1) determine when an inmate shall be exempted from the mandatory workforce skills training requirement due to a medical, developmental, or learning disability as authorized under paragraph (3) of subsection a. of this section; and
(2) authorize these exempted inmates to voluntarily participate in the mandatory workforce skills training program.
g. In order to administer, enhance, and supplement the workforce skills training programming available at a State correctional facility in accordance with this section, the workforce skills training development officer, on a regular basis but not less than once per year, shall meet with a representative of the New Jersey Business and Industry Association, 1the New Jersey Chamber of Commerce,1 the New Jersey State Building and Construction Trades Council, and the New Jersey Council of County Vocational-Technical Schools.
(cf: P.L.2009, c.330, s.1)
2. This act shall take effect on the first day of the third month next following the day of enactment.